Saturday, November 19, 2005

In the Hot Zone


Yahoo has picked up following a journalist in Iraq as he wreites his blog about it. I’m not sure if I’ve already mentioned it but it’s called “In the Hot Zone." It’s a pretty amazing website. Here’s a quote by geer1472 posted on Thu, Nov 17, 2005 3:46 PM ET:

I speak of first hand knowledge for I am here, in the middle of a desert that has little change from that which was once Babylon. The days are hot and long. The missions
seem to come one right after the other. I still wake up every day with the same
drive and determination to do my part. We fight our battles on foreign soils so
that freedom has a meaning. I am proud of who I am and of the selfless service I
feel compelled to give. I left a beautiful wife and 3 boys at home to come here
and fight on this ground so that my children and their children will not have to
come here and do this. Democracy will prevail. Once it is in place you will see
that it will spread. With democracy comes freedom. Before I step off this post I
promise to you that both Afghanistan and Iraq will have a democracy in place. We can not sit on our haunches and protect our borders from terrorism. We have to be here doing what we are doing. Support your troops and they will do great things by you.

This is from a guy who is there in the heat. He doesn’t have a comfortable bed or rec center like I do, and words like this come from him. This is why we’ll win this eventually. Because there are people up there like him. Any time I, or anyone else, consider complaining about conditions or being away from family, I need to read that quote again.

God Bless America.



,

No comments:

Post a Comment