Monday, November 28, 2005

Standing Ovation


We had our “Operation Season’s Greetings” visit last night. The Air Force reserve band started great but kind of fizzled, and the New England cheerleaders were, well, cheerleaders, but there were only four of them there. I stayed for John Popper, former lead singer of Blues Traveler. Even though his band only had a couple of big hits he was phenomenal. That guy can make music with a harmonica like nothing I’ve ever heard before. When he played the National Anthem I got chills down my spine. Not wanting to ruin that I left before Trick Pony came onstage. I hear they're good, but I haven’t listened to country music for quite a while.

At one point in the show the MC came out to talk and give the standard “we’re proud of you, God Bless America” speech. She pointed out that we had some distinguished guests filling the first three rows—soldiers that had been injured up range and were on their way back home. The crowd (us, the non-injured soldiers that have it good here in Al Udeid) went nuts. We gave them a standing ovation that lasted about 10 minutes. It brought tears to my eyes.

I’m working my way up to going full-speed again in an effort of getting in great shape before I leave (remember, that goal I had 2 months ago??). I’ve managed to start running again and the leg seems to be handling it ok so I’m going to up my distance today. Keep your fingers crossed.



1 comment:

  1. I heard John Popper had gotten skinny or fat again? What were his dimensions? LOL. He is indeed one talented guy. Thanks for the link. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete