Tuesday, September 20, 2005

It's the Little Things


You learn to appreciate a lot of things being in an environment such as this. Things that didn’t seem like a big deal before suddenly become big now. Take, for example, privacy. I finally got my room today. You would think that I had just moved into a 4-star hotel. Just the knowledge that no one was going to be moving in with me at some point during my slumber made me sleep better. And TV. I’m sure I’ll get sick of it later but I was lucky enough to purchase a TV from someone that was leaving last week and had him drop it off in this room. 40 channels, none of them US, but better than the constant whirr of an air-conditioner to break the silence.

Another thing you learn to appreciate is access. Access to quick food, quick bathroom, quick shower. My caloric intake has gone through the floor for the simple reason that I have to walk a half mile to get to the chow hall. The food’s great—it’s just a long walk in hot sun. Makes the hunger pangs go away pretty quickly. And bathrooms. The nearest “Cadillac,” as they are called, is about 50 yards away. Not a big deal unless you are asleep in the dark at midday and have to go do your thing. There’s nothing like walking out into the noon-time sun after you’ve been sleeping just to go take a whiz.



No comments:

Post a Comment