Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Slappy


One thing I'll miss when leave here are the haircuts.

For those who haven't been to the middle-east, they have a slightly different method of finishing things up than we do in the States. Whereas a typical American barber just shows you the mirror and walks, these guys make that extra $2 tip worth your while. I was pretty familiar with these from my time at Prince Sultan Air Base a few years back, so it wasn't as much a surprise as it was then.

When you're done, the guy puts some funky-smelling cologne on his hands and proceeds to beat the living crap out of your noggin. We used to call them "slappies" from the incessant slap-around your head takes while getting this massage. Once you get a little comfortable getting a massage from a guy in a room full of guys, it absolutely rocks. By the time my rub-down is over I have feelings for Habib that I shouldn't have for a grown man. He ends up getting a $3 tip today due to the eye massage. It's probably my last haircut here until I come back in 17 months.

I've been updating past posts with pictures I've taken and pictures of the kids and family, so if you feel like scrolling through there's a few on there. I can only get in here every few days so I'll try to stay on top of it. After taking pictures of the compound here I found that everything pretty much looks the same, so the scenery photos probably aren't so hot. I'll work on it.

Tomorrow is election day. Say a prayer for the folks uprange. The general said today during the breifing: "This is what we are working for. This is what all the lives, long hours, and months away from family culminate in. Be proud of what we are doing."

Amen to that.

1 comment: