Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Lust Satisfied


Out of the seven deadly sins, Lust is definitely one that I have a big issue with. In a million different ways. The Lucky clan went to Best Buy the other day to check and see how much the Gateway Tablet PC was.

Big mistake.

They had one on display that damn near brought tears to my eyes. And it was only $1099, much less than I had expected it to be. To top things off, they were offering a $150 discount.

Uh, oh.

After some minor deliberating with SW (who, I imagine, saw the look in my eyes and figured she couldn't win this one) we agreed to buy it. The motivated sales rep zipped off only to come back with his head held low. Apparently they were all out. But he had great news! "You can get the upgraded model for $1499, and I'll give you the same $150 discount."

Damn.

I wandered aimlessly through the store before I finally caved to the lust and filled out the credit application. It was a moot point because I just liquidated my E*Trade account that has been languishing for years after the tech bubble burst--ironically producing the same amount of money I would need to buy the dream PC. Needless to say, and oh so predictably, we walked out with a cow-decorated box.

Then the guilt set in. There is a 14-day return policy, but if the box is opened you have to pay a 15% restocking fee. Quite a bit of money. So the box sat in our living room, unopened. I debated all night but couldn'tbring myself to commit. We watched "To Kill a Mockingbird" that night--the whole time the box staring at me from across the room.

I woke up the next day and played with the monkies. Had breakfast. All morning the cow kept calling to me. I sat in front of it with my knife in hand, a tiny strip of silver reflective tape beckoning to be cut. Eventually, SW had had enough and ordered me to open the box.

This machine rocks. Of course, I really won't have a whole lot of time to play with it until my TDY next month.

So lust wins again. As she has so many, many times before.

No comments:

Post a Comment