Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Letter from Tall 'Afar


I found this through a link from Neptunus Lex today. It is a letter sent to the families of the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment from the Mayor of Tall 'Afar, Iraq. When the pol's speak of how this may not be worth it and that we need to pull out now, they need to read this letter:

To the Courageous Men and Women of the 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment, who have changed the city of Tall’ Afar from a ghost town, in which terrorists spread death and destruction, to a secure city flourishing with life.

To the lion-hearts who liberated our city from the grasp of terrorists who were beheading men, women and children in the streets for many months.

To those who spread smiles on the faces of our children, and gave us restored hope, through their personal sacrifice and brave fighting, and gave new life to the city after hopelessness darkened our days, and stole our confidence in our ability to reestablish our city...

Read the whole thing--you need to.

5 comments:

  1. No, this doesn't rock. Just because one mayor in one town in Iraq who we probably paid to write this letter doesn't mean things are going well over in Iraq. Join the Army and deploy to Iraq yourself to see what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find it interesting that flames on here come from anonymity...

    I have been to the war, Mr. Anon. I never once have said that it is a garden spot or wonderful place to live. But I have watched, first hand, at some of the incredible things we are doing over there.

    I doubt this guy was paid off. As expected, you didn't see this anywhere but on blogs. The US had nothing to benefit (and still doesn't) from paying Iraqi writers to submit stuff for us to read--because noone ever reads it.

    We are doing great things over there. I suppose more anonymous readers want us to quit, like my daughter wanted to quit soccer when she found out she had to sweat to play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Air Force I take it? And just where exactly? I never implied that we aren't doing things over there (handing out soccer balls, rebuilding bridges we already destroyed, performing emergency surgery on Iraqi children we bombed) I'm not saying he was paid off, but he certainly was installed by us, and his opinion probably does not reflect the general opinion of all Iraqis (although most "pro-war" people would have people back home believing that). I would not compare $1 trillion of US taxpayers dollars or 2000 American lives to your daughter's "sweat". Very poor analogy my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Air Force. And the Army was very happy I was there. I would assume you would have garnered that from being here in the first place.

    I feel bad for whatever happened to you over there--because by the way you're talking I'm making an assumption that you were.

    Actually, you did say he was paid off.

    And I think it was a great anology. The lives that have been lost and dollars spent are even more reason for us to finish this out. The politicians that want out only wanted it once it became uncomfortable. Soldier's lives suddenly became "important" to them once they started losing voters influenced by the MSM.

    Again, very brave of you to do this anonymously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of us value service no matter what the branch. Even if Maj. Lucky was not deployed in a combat zone, he was still away from his family for an extended period of time, and that's price enough. Also, for the record, USAF personnel have been deploying over to garden spots like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the Emirates since the first Gulf War, so please don't demean the USAF's service to the nation. There's no reason to make snide comments just because someone isn't in the Army or Marines.

    Btw, Lucky, you're getting added to my blogroll. Air Force bloggers are too few and far between. (I'm an AFROTC cadet and proud of it.)

    ReplyDelete